Cannot Ship To:AK,HI
Red Leaf Japanese Maple Tree – A Show-Stopping Display of Reds
Why Red Leaf Japanese Maple Tree?
Native to Korea, Japan, China, Southeast Russia, and Eastern Mongolia, Acer Palmatum' Atropurpureum, also known as Japanese red maple, Japanese maple, red Japanese maple tree, Japanese tree, smooth Japanese maple, or palmate maple, is a small deciduous tree with rich, reddish-purple foliage. The red Japanese maple tree seeds are much sought after by wildlife, including chipmunks and squirrels. Quail, grouse, and a wide variety of songbirds consume the plant's seeds, buds, and blooms.
Japanese maple is characterized by its rich foliage that may grow up to 4" in length. 5-7 lobes branch from a central point in a symmetrical pattern, much like fingers emanating from the palm of a hand.
Soils that are acidic, moist, loamy, sandy, rich, and well-drained are ideal for Japanese maple growth. It grows best on somewhat wet soil, although it may survive in drier circumstances.
The pollination process is often simplified by the presence of both male and female flowers on a single specimen of the red maple. When pollinated, it produces fruit in the shape of winged samara.
It is generally recommended to wait to fertilize a bare root plant until it has been established in the ground and is actively growing. This can vary depending on the type of plant and the growing conditions, but it is generally best to wait at least a few weeks to a few months after planting.
During the first year, you should focus on providing the plant with the right amount of water, sunlight and soil to help it become established. Once the plant has become established and is actively growing, you can begin to fertilize it.
You can use a balanced, all-purpose fertilizer or one that is specifically formulated for the type of plant you have. Be sure to follow the instructions on the fertilizer package and apply it at the recommended rate.
It is also important to note that over-fertilizing can be harmful to plants, so it's always best to error on the side of caution and start with a lower amount of fertilizer and increase as needed.
Acer palmatum 'atropurpureum' is a cultivar of the Japanese maple (Acer palmatum) tree. The following are some of the key specifications of this cultivar:
- Size: This cultivar typically grows to be 10-15 feet (3-4.5 meters) tall and 8-12 feet (2.5-3.5 meters) wide.
- Foliage: The leaves of this cultivar are deeply dissected, meaning they are cut into many smaller lobes. They are a dark purple color, sometimes with red or bronze highlights. The leaves are delicate and lacy.
- Flowers and fruit: This cultivar produces small, red flowers in spring. The flowers are not particularly showy, but they give way to small, winged fruits (samaras) in the summer.
- Growth habit: This cultivar has a spreading growth habit and can be grown as a small tree or as a multi-stemmed shrub. It is often used in bonsai gardening.
- Sunlight: This cultivar prefers partial to full shade, and will grow best in areas that receive filtered or dappled sunlight.
- Soil: This cultivar prefers well-draining soil and does not tolerate wet soil or standing water.
- Hardiness: This cultivar is hardy in USDA zones 5-8, which means it can withstand winter temperatures between -20°F to 10°F (-28.9°C to -12.2°C).
- pH level: This cultivar prefers a more acidic soil, with a pH between 6.0-6.5, if your soil is more alkaline you may need to adjust the pH.
- Pruning: Prune in late winter or early spring to shape or control the size of the tree. Avoid pruning in late spring or summer as this can encourage new growth that will not have time to harden off before winter.
- Pest and diseases: Japanese Maple are generally resistant to pests and diseases, but sometimes can be affected by scale insects, leafhoppers, and aphids. They are also susceptible to powdery mildew, verticillium wilt, and leaf scorch.
Why Buy From Us?
Welcome to our online bare root plant nursery! We specialize in providing high-quality, affordable bare root trees, nursery plants, and garden plants for sale. We understand the importance of having a beautiful garden, which is why we only offer the highest-quality plants at an affordable price.
Our selection of bare root trees, shrubs, and plants includes a wide variety of fruit trees, berry bushes, perennial flowers, deciduous trees, evergreen trees, and more. We carry tree varieties and tree types that are perfect for every type of garden, whether you're looking for fast growing trees, drought-tolerant trees, cold-hardy trees, native trees, or exotic trees.
Our bare root trees are superior to potted trees because they are easy to plant and establish quickly, plus they are more cost-efficient. They are carefully selected and grown to ensure they are healthy, and ready to thrive in your garden.
We also have a large selection of seedlings, including tree seedlings, which are perfect for those who want to grow their own trees from scratch. Our affordable trees are quality trees that are sure to provide you with many years of enjoyment in your garden.
At our wholesale nursery, we also offer bulk pricing for those who want to purchase a large number of trees for their own landscaping business, park, or other commercial project. Contact us directly for wholesale requests.
Our online nursery makes it easy for you to shop for the perfect plants from the comfort of your own home. And with our fast and reliable shipping, you can have your bare root trees, shrubs, and plants delivered right to your door.
We take great care in packaging and shipping our plants to ensure they arrive to you in good condition. And with our easy-to-plant trees, tree saplings, and step-by-step instructions for tree planting, you'll be able to get your new additions in the ground in no time.
Thank you for choosing our online bare root plant nursery. We are confident that you will be completely satisfied with the quality and selection of our plants. If you have any questions or need help selecting the perfect plants for your garden, please don't hesitate to contact us.